Study Permit


General Information

From elementary school to university, language schools to vocational programs, Canadian schools accommodate students of all interests and backgrounds. Individuals who study in Canada receive quality, internationally respected educations that prepare them for future professional pursuits. The combine tuition fees and living costs are generally lower than in other developed countries.

All Foreign Nationals who have attained the age of maturity at the time of application must obtain a Study Permit to attend any educational institution. In order to apply for the Study Permit, the Foreign National must provide proof of acceptance into an approved institution, evidence of sufficient funds to pay for tuition and living costs, and demonstrate the intention to return home upon the completion of studies.

As per recent changes in study permit requirements by CIC, prospective international students who wish to study at a Canadian post-secondary institution need to provide a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution when applying for a Canadian study permit.

  • Study in K12 Schools – International students aged 5-18 can study in Canada in Primary, Elementary and Secondary Schools. These schools offer day schooling as well as boarding option. These schools are Public, Private and Independent.
  • Study in Community Colleges – Colleges in Canada a wide variety of applied subjects designed to prepare students through hand-on training learning opportunity in small sized classes, to work in their desired career. Students study for 2-3 years Post Secondary Diploma or a one to two years Post Graduate Certificate. For admission in Community colleges, applicants must have completed high school and hold English language proficiency (IELTS 6.0)
  • Study in University – Canadian Universities constantly rank among the top 100 universities of the world. All Canadian Universities offer very high level of education across the post secondary level. Canada’s universities offer a full range of degrees from three to four years Bachelor degree programs, one to two years Master degree programs and three to five years PhD programs.
  • Insurance for International Students in Canada – Health Insurance

International students in Canada are required to buy insurance for any accidental or emergency hospitalization. They may add an annual medical check up, eye check up riders with their plan.

After Arrival

Once you arrive in Canada, you must maintain your study permit and obtain work authorization.

  • After obtaining a study permit, students may need to renew or change the study permit during the course of their studies in Canada.
  • Depending on your program, you may be eligible to work while studying

After graduation, many students choose to stay in Canada to live and work

  • Many graduates are eligible to receive post-graduation work permits to facilitate their stay.
  • A post-graduation work permit may help facilitate an application for Canadian Permanent Residency, especially through either the Canadian Experience Class or Quebec Experience Class.

Working in Canada as a Student

It is possible to work in Canada, while you are here as a student, under any Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC’s) or Immigration, Refugees Citizenship Canada (IRCC) work programs for students.

A student may be able to work in Canada during the course of study under the following categories:

  • On campus without a Work Permit;
  • Off campus with a Work Permit;
  • In Co-op and Internship Programs, where work experience is part of the curriculum, with a Work Permit.

In addition to this, spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for a work permit for the duration as the study permit.