PR Card Renewal

  • Home
  • PR Card Renewal


The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) contains provisions requiring that permanent residents provide with a document indicating their status in Canada. Section 32(f) of the IRPA authorizes the creation of the Regulations pertaining to the issuance of a status document for permanent residents (permanent resident card).

The Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada. You use this wallet-sized plastic card to show you can enter and stay in Canada when you return from another country. People who have permanent resident status in Canada can apply for their first Permanent Resident card (PR card), its renewal, or a replacement of a PR card.


The PR Card is usually valid for a five-year period, therefore, it is important to know the expiry date printed on your PR Card and apply in advance for renewal. You must be in Canada in order to apply for your PR card.

When you are a permanent resident, you can live outside of Canada, but must live in Canada for at least two years in a five-year period. If you live outside of Canada for longer, you may lose your permanent resident status.

To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:

  • Be a permanent resident of Canada
  • Be physically present in Canada
  • Not be under an effective removal order
  • Not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act and
  • Not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR card

You should only apply for a PR card if:

  • you did not get a PR card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada;
  • you have a PR card that has expired or will expire in less than nine months;
  • you have a PR card that has been lost, stolen, or destroyed; or
  • You have legally changed your name and need to update the name on your PR card.

Services we offer for the renewal of a PR Card

Regular Service (No Urgency) 2-3 months

Urgent Service (Proof of Urgency Required) 1 Month